I have researched and published in the area of using stories to promote sustainable solutions and am happy to speak at events relating to writing for a cause and using fiction to promote green behaviours or as a guest lecturer on creative writing courses. Payment beyond expenses not always required, depending on nature of the event.
I also provide one to one consultancy for established authors working on new material on how to smuggle in green solutions. Again, payment not always required. I work across several genres, for example, my most recent consultancy was on the comic The Renegades Flames of Amazonia published by DK children. Denise is also on the expert panel for the Global Action Plan Flickers of the Future project (patron Richard Curtis CBE) providing advice on green content for finalists.
Some of the research is available on The Conversation
See also the paper: Baden, D. (2019). Solution focused stories are more effective than catastrophic stories in motivating pro-environmental intentions. Ecopsychology, 11(4).
and a book recently published: Baden, D.: 2020, ‘Which work best? Cautionary tales or positive role models? ‘, In Molthan-hill, P., H. Luna and D. Baden (Eds.), Storytelling for Sustainability in Higher Education: An Educator’s Handbook (Routledge, Abingdon).
Upcoming Events in 2022
- “Inspiring sustainable practice: moving beyond preaching to the converted” The Marjon Academy Lecture Series, in association with SCION RKE Group. Wed, 2 February 2022 12:00 – 13:30 GMT. Sign up for your free tickets here.
- Denise is a special guest for Hampshire Writers’ Society, 8th feb 2022 7.30 pm. See here for details.
- Denise will be speaking at Eastleigh book club 7.30pm about her book Habitat Man 12th April
Invite Denise Baden to speak at your school
Denise is offering free sessions to schools and colleges throughout November in the Southampton region (including Eastleigh, Winchester) talking about sustainability and introducing the free green stories short story competition. Events last ideally 2 hours (some flexibility) and with 20-60 attendees in any session. The school/college will provide the space. If interested email email@example.com for details.
Denise recently ran a workshop with Bitterne Park School in Southampton. See how it went:
Check again soon for upcoming events or subscribe to my mailing list to be notified of my next event
- Tues 18th Jan 7.30 – 9pm October Books, Southampton Denise talked about two key sustainability projects: Sustainable Hairdressing, the Green Stories Project and her eco-themed romcom Habitat Man, see HERE
- ‘Writing for a Sustainable Future’. Barton Peveril Sixth Form College, Dec 9th 2021
- ‘Writing Green Stories’ Anthropocene and More-Than-Human World, hosted by University of Nottingham Dec 8th 2021
- Bristol Climate Writers Nov 10th 7.30 – 9pm. ‘Writing for a Sustainable Future’.
- Writing Workshop, 20 Nov 2021 ‘Imagining a Sustainable Future via Green Stories’.
- Writing for a Sustainable Future year 9 workshop, Bitterne Park School. Nov 9th 2021
- Ethical Consumer week 21st Oct 2021 7pm – 9pm: ‘Inspiring Green Behaviours’.
- Book Launch Habitat Man 22nd Oct 2021 6.30pm – 9pm. October Books, Southampton
- Self-Publishing Conference 23/24 Oct 2021 ‘Writing for a Cause: Do’s and Don’ts’.
- Irish Writers Centre Climate Writers Group. 6th Oct 2021 ‘Writing Climate Fiction’. Online 119.35 – 21.00
- World Forum on Climate Justice 22nd Sept 2021 ‘Inspiring Green Behaviours: How to Move beyond Preaching to the Converted’. Online 11.00 – 11.15
- Talk on ‘writing to change the world’ at the Writers Weekend 26th June 2021. There are four wonderful days of events and talks for writers 24-27 June including a talk by Denise Baden on writing to change the world – see https://writersweekend.uk/2021-programme/
- Green Stories Workshop –Writing about Nature and the Climate with Professor Denise Baden. 20th February 2021. This workshop will give tips on how to write to change the world. Sign up for the free event by clicking here
- Free Prize Giving Event, Regents University, London on 27th Jan 2020 7pm – 9.30pm.Talks by industry professionals, readings of winning entries and opportunity to network https://www.eventbrite.com/e/green-stories-prize-giving-event-tickets-86337641209
- A writer’s workshop, University of Southampton 1st/2nd Feb 2020. A writer’s workshop is being hosted by the judges to generate ideas – see https://store.southampton.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/southampton-business-school/events/green-stories-writing-workshop
- Book launch for ‘Resurrection Trust’ October Books, Southampton 28/3/2019. ‘Resurrection Trust’ is a collection of funny, dark, mad, bad, upbeat, downbeat and fantastical short stories about living sustainably from the University of Southampton’s Green Stories writing competition. From eco communities to singing buildings, and sharing economies, these stories showcase a myriad of different ideas about how humans can live more harmoniously with nature, and each other. Foreword by Caroline Lucas and review by Jonathan Porritt. Resurrection Trust is available from October Books, online from Amazon, or even better https://www.hive.co.uk/
- Writer’s workshop 19/20 January 2019 at University of Southampton.